I am going to need you to hold on to your hat folks, because I have a recipe for you to try that is taking the web and the world by storm. Rightfully so, I might add. Cauliflower Grilled Cheese. Are you drooling yet? No? Well, let me go into more detail. Grab a towel before we really get going.
Here are the reasons that you need this recipe in your life:
You’ll Rock That Low Carb
You’ve tried it, I’ve tried it. The ol’ low carb diet. We always slip up because we want some comfort food. We want some of that food we had growing up. A little bit of Mom’s grilled cheese. Well, this recipe will fill that hole for you and make you feel like you are cheating when you are not. The bread in this recipe is made from Cauliflower, which is a no-carb vegetable.
You’ll Get Your Veggies In
You need to get those servings of vegetable in some how. Why not make it delicious? You may even be able to get your kids in on this deliciousness.
You’ll Be Excited To See That Variety Helps You Stay On Track
You need to switch it up and make sure that you are allowing yourself healthy cheats in order to maintain weight loss. Let’s try to make this a lifestyle change instead of a diet. The only way that is going to work is if you are able to find new ways to satisfy the cravings. Feel like you are cheating, but watch the scale numbers and say “What? I don’t see any cheating.”
A more detailed recipe and information on this trend is available at the following link.
First thing’s first, here are the ingredients:
- 1 cauliflower head (small) cut into florets
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 oz grated Parmesan
- 1 oz grated comte, appenzeller or mature cheddar cheese (don’t feel bad I had to google what those were too)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 oz grated comte and mature cheddar cheese
- 1 large pickled gherkin or jalapeno finely sliced (optional-this doesn’t make my list)
To make the bread:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet and liberally grease that puppy. No sticking on our watch. Set aside.
- “Rice” the cauliflower. If you have worked much with cauliflower while low carbing, you may be familiar with this term. Basically, you take your florets and put them in the food processor. Pulse until the consistency is of rice or a fine crumb.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a low-medium heat. We are getting to the good part. Add the cauliflower rice (about three cups) and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir continually. According to the link, you are going to want the water to evaporate, but you don’t want color to appear on the cauliflower. The rice needs to be dry or it will end up being too mushy.
- Move the rice to a mixing bowl. Add egg, parmesan (it’s starting to come together now), comte, and salt. Mix well and then spread mixture onto the pan that was set aside. Shape into 4 bread squares. Place it in the oven to bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove and let it cool for 10 minutes. Peel the slices from the parchment paper.
To Assemble the Cauliflower Grilled Cheese:
1. Heat the pan over medium heat. Butter one side of each slice of cauliflower bread. Put the buttered side down on the pan. You know this part — it’s just like regular grilled cheese.
2. Cover the bread liberally with your chosen cheese, if you are adding gherkin or jalapeño, add now. Top with the remaining slice of cauliflower bread, buttered-side up.
3. Cook until golden brown, usually not more than four minutes. Flip and do the other side.
4. Serve with hot sauce, a salad, and your condiments of choice. Our house would probably have ketchup.