Why are you so tired?
Fatigue feels different than being tired. When you’re tired you can take a nap or get some extra sleep and the problem is resolved. When you have fatigue no amount of naps or hours of sleep can fix the problem. When you are suffering from fatigue you feel drained of energy all the time and doing a simple task can take everything out of you.
People who have inflammatory bowel disease are no strangers to fatigue. Here are some things that may cause fatigue in a patient who has Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis:
- Steroids causing insomnia and abnormal sleep patterns.
- Other medications may cause drowsiness, insomnia, or fatigue.
- Frequent trips to the bathroom that interrupt sleep.
- Night sweats.
- Your body is fighting an internal battle – that uses energy, which may cause fatigue.
- Arthritis comes with it’s own fatiguing symptoms.
- Low self-esteem, poor body image, and other psychological related issues cause sleepless nights.
- Malnutrition and vitamin deficiency.